Thursday, April 16, 2020

Modals - Modal auxiliary verbs

Modals: (Modal auxiliary verbs)

Modal auxiliary verbs are:

Shall, will, can, may, ought, should, would, could, might, need, dare

Modal verbs have no ‘—s’ in the third person singular

I am catching the 10.30 train. What time shall I be in Hyderabad? / What time will I be in Hyderabad?

We can use ‘will’ and ‘shall’ to express the idea of future happenings

We can use ‘Shall’ when we make offers, or suggestions, and when we ask for orders or advice.

We can use

can’ to express ability of so something.
may’ to express the idea of probability.
should’ and ‘must’ to express the idea conditional or compulsory.

1.           What shall we do?
2.           Shall I carry your bag?
3.           Shall we go out for lunch?
4.           She may know his address.
5.           Can you swim?
6.           You should not do that?
7.           We may go climbing in the Himalayas nest summer.
8.           She may be here tomorrow.
9.           May I put on TV?
10.        You may be right.
11.        She will be here tomorrow.
12.        may come tomorrow if I have time.

Fill in blanks with suitable modals:

1.           He is over fifty but -------- still read without glasses. (can / will)
2.           Take taxi. You ---------- miss he train. (ought / might)
3.           She --------- not find her purse. (could / shall)
4.           I had no key so I --------- open the door. (may not / cannot)
5.           If you -------- forgive me, I promise never to do it again. (might / will)
6.           --------- I look after your luggage. (shall / would)
7.           Soldiers ---------obey orders without question. (must / can)
8.           India is ready to ------- any foreign attack. (ought / dare)
9.           She -------- sing well. (can / shall)
10.        I wish you ---------- go away. (would / may)
11.        My mother is --------- getting up early in the morning. (used to /dare to)
12.        This ---------- be your book. Your name is written on it. (must / can)

------

No comments:

Post a Comment

ODYSSEUS - Summary

  ODYSSEUS   Summary    Odysseus, lord of the isle of Ithaca, has been missing from his kingdom for twenty years. The first ten had been spe...