Saturday, October 28, 2023

AN IRISH AIRMAN FORESEES HIS DEATH - W B YEATS

 An Irish Airman Foresees His Death  - W B Yeats


I know that I shall meet my fate

Somewhere among the clouds above;

Those that I fight I do not hate,

Those that I guard I do not love;

My country is Kiltartan Cross,

My countrymen Kiltartan’s poor,

No likely end could bring them loss

Or leave them happier than before

Nor law, nor duty bade me fight,

Nor public men, nor cheering crowds.

A lonely impulse of delight

Drove to this tumult in the clouds;

I balanced all, brought all to mind,

The years to come seemed waste of breath, 

A waste of breath the years behind

In balance with this life, this death.




ed - mastanappa puletipalli


Reflections:

"An Irish Airman Foresees His Death" is a poem by W.B. Yeats that reflects on the nature of war and the motivations of those who participate in it. The poem is narrated by an Irish airman, who contemplates his impending death with a sense of detachment and inevitability. The airman acknowledges that he has no strong patriotic or ideological reasons for fighting; instead, he is motivated by a desire for excitement and the thrill of flying. The poem explores the contrast between the romanticized notion of war and the grim reality of mortality, suggesting that personal motivations for joining a conflict may not always align with the larger political or national causes. The airman accepts his fate with a stoic resignation, highlighting the complex and often ambiguous nature of individual sacrifice in the context of war.


---000---

No comments:

Post a Comment

ODYSSEUS - Summary

  ODYSSEUS   Summary    Odysseus, lord of the isle of Ithaca, has been missing from his kingdom for twenty years. The first ten had been spe...